1. That which was from the beginning, that which we have heard, that which we have seen with our own eyes, that which we observed for ourselves and our own hands handled, concerning the Word of life;
2. (And the life was manifested, and we have seen, and are bearing witness, and are reporting to you the eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested to us;)
3. That which we have seen and have heard we are reporting to you in order that you also may have fellowship with us; for the fellowship—indeed, our fellowship—is with the Father and with His own Son, Jesus Christ.
4. These things we are also writing to you, so that your joy may be completely full.
5. And this is the message that we have heard from Him and are declaring to you: that God is light, and there is no darkness at all in Him.
6. If we proclaim that we have fellowship with Him, but we are walking in the darkness, we are lying to ourselves, and we are not practicing the Truth.
7. However, if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His own Son, cleanses us from all sin.
8. If we say that we do not have sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9. If we confess our own sins, He is faithful and righteous, to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us.