1. As dead flies make the perfumer’s ointment to fetid and putrid; so does a little folly to him who has a reputation for wisdom and honor.
2. A man’s heart is at his right hand; but a fool’s heart at his left.
3. Yea also, when a fool walks along the way his wisdom fails; and he says to all that he is a fool.
4. If the spirit of the ruler rises up against you, do not leave your place; for yielding pacifies great offenses.
5. There is an evil I have seen under the sun, like an error which comes from a despot’s presence;
6. When foolishness is set in great dignity, and the rich sit in a low place.
7. I have seen servants on horses and princes walking as servants on the earth.
8. He who digs a pit shall fall into it; and whoever breaks through a wall, a snake shall bite him.
9. Whoever removes stones shall be hurt with them. He who splits wood shall be endangered by it.
10. If the iron is blunt, and he does not whet the edge, then he must put more strength to it. But wisdom is profitable to direct.
11. If the snake bites before it is charmed, then the charmer has no advantage.
12. The words of a wise man’s mouth are gracious; but the lips of a fool will swallow up himself.
13. The beginning of the words of his mouth is foolishness; and the end of his talk is extreme folly.
14. A fool also makes many words; a man does not know what shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?
15. The labor of fools wearies him, because he does not know how to go to the city.
16. Woe to you, O land, when your king is a child and your princes eat in the morning.
17. Blessed are you, O land, when your king is the son of nobles, and your leaders eat at the set time, for strength, and not for drunkenness!
18. By slothfulness the building decays; and through idleness of the hands the house drops.
19. A feast is made for laughter, and wine makes merry; but money answers all things.
20. Do not curse a king, no, not even in your thought; and do not curse the rich in your bedroom; for a bird of the air shall carry the voice, and that which has wings shall tell the matter.
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved