1. The Word of the LORD came to me, saying,
2. “What do you mean by this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, ‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children’s teeth are set on edge’?”
3. “As I live,” says the Lord GOD, “to you there is no longer any occasion to use this proverb in Israel.
5. But a man who is righteous and does that which is lawful and right,
6. And has not eaten on the mountains, nor has lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, nor has defiled his neighbor’s wife, nor has come near a menstruating woman,
7. And has not oppressed any man, but has given the debtor’s pledge back to him, has robbed none by violence, has given his bread to the hungry and has covered the naked with a garment;
8. He does not lend out at usury, nor has taken any increase, he has withdrawn his hand from iniquity, has executed true justice between man and man,
9. Has walked in My statutes, and has kept My ordinances to deal truly, he is righteous, he shall surely live,” says the Lord GOD.
10. “And if he beget a son who is a robber, who sheds blood, and who does the like of any one of these things—
11. And the father does not do any of these himself—but his son has even eaten on the mountains, and has defiled his neighbor’s wife;
12. Has oppressed the poor and needy; has committed robbery; has not given back the pledge; and has lifted up his eyes to the idols; has committed abomination;
13. Has loaned out at usury; and has taken increase—shall the son then live? He shall not live! He has done all these abominations; he shall surely be put to death; his blood shall be upon him.
14. But, if a man begets a son who sees all his father’s sins which he has done, and fears, and does not do like him—
15. Who has not eaten on the mountains; nor has lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel; has not defiled his neighbor’s wife;
16. Nor has oppressed any man; has not withheld the pledge; nor has committed robbery by violence; but has given his bread to the hungry; and has covered the naked with clothes;
17. Has withdrawn his hand from oppressing the poor; has not received usury nor increase; has done My ordinances; has walked in My statutes—he shall not die for the iniquity of his father; he shall surely live.
18. His father, because he extorted and robbed his brother by robbery, and did what is not good among his people; lo, even he shall die in his iniquity.
19. Yet you say, ‘Why? Does not the son bear the iniquity of the father?’ When the son has done that which is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes, and has done them, he shall surely live.
20. The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, nor shall the father bear the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
21. But if the wicked will turn from all his sins which he has committed, and keep all My statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.
22. All his transgressions that he has done, they shall not be mentioned to him; in his righteousness that he has done he shall live.
23. “Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord GOD. “Is it not pleasing, instead, that he should turn from his ways and live?
24. But when the righteous turns from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked do, shall he live? All his righteousness that he has done shall not be remembered; because of his trespass that he has trespassed, and because of his sin that he has sinned, because of them he shall die.
25. Yet you say, ‘The way of the LORD is not fair.’ Hear now, O house of Israel: Is not My way fair? Are not your ways unfair?
26. When a righteous one turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity and dies because of it; for his iniquity that he has done, he shall die.
27. Again, when the wicked turns away from his wickedness that he has committed and does that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.
28. Because he carefully considers, and turns away from all his sins that he has committed, he shall surely live; he shall not die.
29. Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the LORD is not fair.’ O house of Israel, are not My ways fair? Are not your ways unfair?
30. Thus I will judge you, O house of Israel, each one of you according to his ways,” says the Lord GOD. “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin.
31. Cast away from you all your transgressions by which you have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit; for why will you die, O house of Israel?
32. For I have no delight in the death of him who dies,” says the Lord GOD. “Therefore turn yourselves and live.”
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved