1. And Sarah was a hundred twenty-seven years old, these were the years of the life of Sarah.
2. And Sarah died in Kirjath Arba; the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan. And Abraham came to mourn for Sarah and to weep for her.
3 And Abraham stood up from before his dead and spoke to the sons of Heth, saying,
4. “I am a stranger and a sojourner with you. Give me possession of a burial site with you, so that I may bury my dead out of my sight.”
5. And the sons of Heth answered Abraham saying to him,
6. “Hear us, my lord. You are a mighty prince among us. Bury your dead in the choice of our burial places. None of us shall withhold from you his burial site for burying your dead.”
7. And Abraham stood up, and bowed himself to the people of the land, the sons of Heth.
8. And he spoke with them, saying, “If it is your mind that I should bury my dead out of my sight, hear me, and ask for me of Ephron the son of Zohar,
9. That he may give me the cave of Machpelah which he has, which is at the end of his field. For as much silver as it is worth, he shall give it to me for a possession of a burial place among you.”
10. And Ephron lived among the sons of Heth. And Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the ears of the sons of Heth, of all that went in at the gate of his city, saying,
11. “No, my lord, hear me. I give you the field, and the cave that is in it I give to you. In the presence of the sons of my people, I give it to you. Bury your dead.”
12. And Abraham bowed before the people of the land.
13. And he spoke to Ephron in the ears of the people of the land, saying, “Only if you would hear me; I will give you silver for the field. Take it from me, and I will bury my dead there.”
14. And Ephron answered Abraham, saying to him,
15. “My lord, hearken to me. The land is worth four hundred shekels of silver—what is that between me and you? So bury your dead.”
16. And Abraham hearkened to Ephron. And Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver which he had named in the hearing of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, as is current among the merchants.
17. And the field of Ephron, which was in Machpelah, which was before Mamre—the field and the cave which was in it, and all the trees in the field, in all the borders round about—was deeded
18. To Abraham for a possession in the presence of the sons of Heth, before all that went in at the gate of his city.
19. And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave at the field of Machpelah before Mamre, which is Hebron, in the land of Canaan.
20. And the field, and the cave that is in it, were deeded to Abraham for possession of a burial place by the sons of Heth.
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved