1. Behold, the LORD makes the earth empty and makes it waste, and turns it upside down, and scatters its inhabitants.
2. And as it is with the people, so it shall be with the priest; as with the slave, so with the master; as with the handmaid, so it is with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with the creditor, so with the debtor.
3. The earth shall be completely laid waste, and utterly stripped; for the LORD has spoken this word.
4. The earth mourns and languishes; the world withers and languishes; the proud people of the earth wither.
5. And the earth is defiled under its people; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, and have broken the everlasting covenant.
6.Therefore the curse has devoured the earth,and they who dwell in it are desolate;therefore the people of the earth are burned, and few men are left.
7. The new wine mourns, the vine withers, all the merry-hearted sigh.
8. The gladness of tambourines drums ceases, the noise of those who rejoice ends; the joy of the lyre ceases.
9. They shall not drink wine with a song; strong drink shall be bitter to those who drink it.
10. The city of shame is broken down; every house is shut up so that no one may come in.
11. A crying for wine is in the streets; all joy is darkened, the mirth in the land has gone.
12. In the city, it is left a desolation, and the gate is stricken with destruction,
13. For so it is in the midst of the earth among the people, it shall be like the shaking of an olive tree and as gleanings when the grape harvest is completed.
14. They shall lift up their voice, they shall sing for the majesty of the LORD, they shall cry aloud from the sea.
15. Therefore glorify the LORD in the east where the light dawns, the name of the LORD God of Israel in the isles of the sea.
16. From the ends of the earth we have heard songs, “Glory to the righteous.” But I said, “Leanness to me! Leanness to me! Woe to me! Deceivers deceive, even treacherously. Deceivers deceive!”
17. Dread and the pit, and the snare are upon you, O inhabitant of the earth.
18. And it shall be, he who flees from the sound of dread shall fall into the pit. And he who comes up out of the midst of the pit shall be taken in the snare, for the windows from on high are opened, and the foundations of the earth quake.
19. The earth is broken, yea broken down! The earth is crumbling, yea crumbling to pieces! The earth is tottering, yea tottering!
20. Like a drunkard the earth is staggering, yea staggering! And it rocks to and fro like a tree hut! And its transgressions are heavy upon it; and it shall fall and not rise again.
21. And it shall come to pass in that day, the LORD shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of the earth upon the earth.
22. And they shall be gathered, as prisoners are gathered in a dungeon. And they shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days they shall be punished.
23. Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun shall be ashamed, for the LORD of hosts shall reign in Mount Zion, in Jerusalem, and gloriously before His elders.
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved