1. And it came to pass in that same year, in the beginning of the reign of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the fourth year, in the fifth month, Hananiah the son of Azur the prophet of Gibeon, spoke to me in the house of the LORD, in the presence of the priests and of all the people, saying,
2. “Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying, ‘I have broken the yoke of the king of Babylon.
3. Within two full years I will again bring into this place all the vessels of the LORD’S house, which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon took away from this place and carried them to Babylon.
4. And I will bring again to this place Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, with all the captives of Judah who went into Babylon,’ says the LORD. ‘For I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon.’”
5. Then the prophet Jeremiah said to the prophet Hananiah in the presence of the priests, and in the presence of all the people who stood in the house of the LORD,
6. Even the prophet Jeremiah said, “Amen. May the LORD do so. May the LORD confirm your words which you have prophesied, to bring again the vessels of the LORD’S house, and all that is exiled from Babylon into this place.
7. Nevertheless hear now this word that I speak in your ears and in the ears of all the people:
8. The prophets who have been before me and before you of old prophesied against many countries and against great kingdoms, of war, and of evil, and of plague.
9. As for the prophet who prophesies of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then the prophet shall be known, that the LORD has truly sent him.”
10. Then Hananiah the prophet took the yoke from off the prophet Jeremiah’s neck and broke it.
11. And Hananiah spoke in the presence of all the people, saying, “Thus says the LORD, ‘Even so I will break the yoke of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon from the neck of all nations within the time of two full years.’ ” And the prophet Jeremiah went his way.
12. Then the Word of the LORD came toJeremiah, after Hananiah the prophet had broken the yoke from off the neck of the prophet Jeremiah, saying, 13. “Go and tell Hananiah, saying, ‘Thus says the LORD, “You have broken the yokes of wood, but you shall make for them yokes of iron.”
14. For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, “I have put a yoke of iron on the neck of all these nations, that they may serve Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. And they shall serve him. And I have given him the beasts of the field also.” ’ ”
15. Then the prophet Jeremiah said to Hananiah the prophet, “Hear now, Hananiah. The LORD has not sent you but you make this people to trust in a lie.
16. Therefore thus says the LORD, ‘Behold, I will drive you from off the face of the earth. You shall die this year because you have taught rebellion against the LORD.’ ”
17. So Hananiah the prophet died the same year in the seventh month.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved