2. And there were born to him seven sons and three daughters.
3. And his possessions also were seven thousand sheep and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred female donkeys, and a very great household, so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.
4. And his sons went and feasted in their houses, each one on his day. And they sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.
5. And when the days of feasting were concluded, Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job continually did so.
6. Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD. And Satan also came among them.
7. And the LORD said to Satan, “From where do you come?” Then Satan answered the LORD and said, “From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.”
8. And the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and turns away from evil?”
9. And Satan answered the LORD and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing?
10. Have You not made a hedge around him, and around his house, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.
11. But put forth Your hand now, and touch all that he has, and he will curse You to Your face.”
12. And the LORD said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power. Only do not lay your hand upon him.” And Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
13. Now there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house.
14. And there came a messenger to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing, and the donkeys feeding beside them.
15. And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away. Yea, they have killed the servants with the edge of the sword. And I only have escaped alone to tell you.”
16. While he was still speaking, there also came another and said, “The fire of God has fallen from the heavens and has burned up the sheep and the servants, and destroyed them. And I only have escaped alone to tell you.”
17. While he was still speaking, there also came another and said, “The Chaldeans formed three bands and swooped down upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and have killed the servants with the edge of the sword. And I only have escaped alone to tell you.”
18. While he was still speaking, there also came another and said, “Your sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother’s house.
19. And, behold, a great wind came from the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the youths, and they are dead. And I only have escaped alone to tell you.”
20. And Job arose, and tore his robe, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground and worshiped.
21. And he said, “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD.”
22. In all this Job did not sin, nor charge God foolishly.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved