1. “Wherefore, Job, please hear my speech, and hearken to all my words.
2. Behold, now I have opened my mouth, my tongue has spoken in my mouth,
3. My words shall be from the uprightness of my heart, and my lips will clearly speak knowledge.
4. The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
5. If you can, answer me; set yourself in order before me, stand up.
6. Behold, I am according to your wish in God’s stead; I also am formed out of
7. Behold, my terror shall not make you afraid, and my burden shall not be heavy upon you.
8. Surely you have spoken in my ears, and I have heard the sound of your words, saying,
9. ‘I am pure, without transgression; I am innocent, and there is no iniquity in me;
10. Behold, He finds occasions against me, He counts me as His enemy;
11. He puts my feet in the stocks; He marks all my paths.’
12. Behold, in this you are not right; I will answer you, for God is greater than man.
13. Why do you fight against Him? For He does not give account for any of His matters.
14. For God speaks once, yea, twice, yet man does not perceive it.
15. In a dream, a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls upon men; while they slumber upon the bed;
16. Then He opens the ear of men and seals their instruction,
17. So that He may turn man away from his own purpose, that He may keep man from pride.
18. He keeps back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
19. He also chastened man with pain upon his bed, and with strong pain in his bones;
20. So that his life abhors bread, and his soul detests desirable food.
21. His flesh visibly consumes away; and his bones that were not seen stick out.
22. Yea, his soul draws near to the pit, and his life to the destroyers.
23. If there is a messenger for him, a mediator, one among a thousand, to vouch for a man’s uprightness,
24. Then He is gracious to him and says, ‘Deliver him from going down to the pit; for I have found a ransom.’
25. His flesh shall be fresher than a child’s; he shall return to the days of his youth;
26. He shall pray to God, and He will be gracious to him; and he shall see His face with joy, for He will restore to man his righteousness.
27. He will observe men, and if any says, ‘I have sinned and perverted what is right; and it profited me nothing,’
28. He will rescue his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.
29. Lo, all these things God does twice, yea, three times with a man,
30. To bring back his soul from the pit, to be enlightened with the light of the living.
31. Hear this, Job, hearken unto me; be silent and I will speak.
32. If you have anything to say, answer me; speak, for I desire to justify you.
33. If not, hearken unto me; be silent, and I will teach you wisdom.”
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved