1. But the children of Israel committed a sin in the cursed thing, for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the thing which was cursed. And the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel.
2. And Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is beside Beth Aven on the east side of Bethel. And he spoke to them, saying, “Go up and look over the country.” And the men went up and spied out Ai.
3. And they returned to Joshua and said to him, “Let not all the people go up. But let about two or three thousand men go up and strike Ai. Do not make all the people labor there, for they are few.”
4. And about three thousand men of the people went up there. And they fled before the men of Ai.
5. And the men of Ai killed about thirty-six men of them, for they chased them from before the gate to Shebarim and attacked them on the road going down. Therefore the hearts of the people melted and became as water.
6. And Joshua tore his clothes and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads.
7. And Joshua said, “Alas, O Lord GOD, why have You at all brought this people over Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites, to destroy us? And, oh that we had been content and lived on the other side of Jordan!
8. O LORD, what shall I say when Israel turns their backs before their enemies?
9. For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land shall hear, and shall surround us, and shall cut off our name from the earth. And what will You do for Your great name?”
10. And the LORD said to Joshua, “Get up! Why do you lie upon your face this way?
11. Israel has sinned, and they have also broken My covenant which I commanded them, and have even taken of the cursed things, and have also stolen and pretended falsely. And they have even put it among their own things.
12. Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies. They will turn their backs before their enemies because they have become cursed. I will not be with you again unless you destroy the one who is cursed from among you.
13. Up! Sanctify the people and say, ‘Sanctify yourselves for tomorrow, for thus says the LORD God of Israel, “A cursed thing is in the midst of you, O Israel. You cannot stand before your enemies until you take away the cursed thing from among you.”
14. And in the morning, you shall be brought according to your tribes. And it shall be the tribe which the LORD takes shall come, according to its families. And the family which the LORD shall take shall come by households. And the household which the LORD shall take shall come man by man.
15. And it shall be he who is taken with the cursed thing shall be burned with fire, he and all he has because he has broken the covenant of the LORD and because he has done wickedness in Israel.’ ”
16. And Joshua rose up early in the morning and brought Israel by their tribes. And the tribe of Judah was taken.
17. And he brought the families of Judah. And he took the family of the Zerahites. And he took the family of the Zerahites man by man. And Zabdi was taken.
18. And he brought his household man by man. And Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, was taken.
19. And Joshua said to Achan, “My son, I pray you, give glory to the LORD God of Israel and make confession to Him. And tell me now what you have done. Do not hide it from me.”
20. And Achan answered Joshua and said, “Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and this I have done.
21. When I saw among the spoil a goodly robe of Shinar, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, I coveted them and took them. And behold, they are hidden in the earth in the middle of my tent, and the silver under it.”
22. And Joshua sent messengers, and they ran into the tent. And behold, it was hidden in his tent, and the silver under it.
23. And they took them out of the middle of the tent, and brought them to Joshua and to all the children of Israel. And they laid them out before the LORD.
24. And Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerah, and the silver, and the garment, and the wedge of gold, and his sons, and his daughters, and his oxen, and his donkeys, and his sheep, and his tent, and all that he had. And they brought them to the valley of Achor.
25. And Joshua said, “Why have you troubled us? The LORD shall trouble you this day.” And all Israel stoned him with stones, and burned them with fire, after they had stoned them with stones.
26. And they raised over him a great heap of stones to this day. And the LORD turned from His burning anger. Therefore, the name of that valley is called The Valley of Grief to this day.
But the childrenH1121
HNcmsain the cursed thing,H2764
HNpof the tribeH4294
HRthe thing which was cursed.H2764
HTdHNcmsaAnd the angerH639
HTaof the LORDH3068
HCHVqw3msagainst the childrenH1121
HNpon the eastH6924
HRHNcmsaside of Bethel.H1008
HRHNpAnd he spokeH559
HRHSp3mpthem, saying, "Go upH5927
HVqv2mpand look overH7270
HTdHNcbsaAnd the menH376
HCHVqw3mpand spied outH7270
And they returnedH7725
HVqj3msBut let about twoH505
And about threeH7969
HDHSdAnd they fledH5127
And the menH376
HRHSp3mpfor they chased themH7291
HTdHNpand attacked themH5221
HCHVhw3mpHSp3mpon the road going down.H4174
HRdHNcmsaTherefore the heartsH3824
HNcmscof the peopleH5971
HCHVqw3msto the earthH776
HNcbscof the LORDH3068
HPp3msand the eldersH2205
HRHTihave You at allH5674
HToHSp1cpinto the handsH3027
HRHNcbscof the Amorites,H567
HTdHNgmsato destroy us?H6
HCHCthat we had been contentH2974
HCHVqw1cpon the other sideH5676
For the CanaanitesH3669
HVqrmpcof the landH776
HCHVqi3mpand shall surroundH5437
HRHSp1cpand shall cutH3772
HTooff our nameH8034
HCHTiwill You doH6213
HVqi2msfor Your greatH1419
HVqp3msand they have alsoH1571
HToHSp3mpand have evenH1571
HRthe cursed things,H2764
HTdHNcmsaand have alsoH1571
HVpp3cpAnd they have evenH1571
HVqp3cpitamong their own things.H3627
Therefore the childrenH1121
HVqrmpcHSp3mpThey will turnH6437
HCthey have becomeH1961
HRHNcmsaI will notH3808
HVhi2mpthe one who is cursedH2764
HTdHNcmsafrom among you.H7130
HVtv2mpyourselves for tomorrow,H4279
HNp"A cursed thingH2764
HNcmsaisin the midst of you,H7130
HRyou take awayH5493
HVhcHSp2mpthe cursed thingH2764
HTdHNcmsafrom among you."H7130
And in the morning,H1242
HRdHNcmsayou shall be broughtH7126
HCHVNq2mpaccording to your tribes.H7626
HRHNcmpcHSp2mpAnd it shall beH1961
HVqi3msaccording to its families.H1004
HRdHNcmpaAnd the familyH1004
HRdHNcfpaAnd the householdH4940
HVqi3msman by man.H1397
And it shall beH1961
HCHVqq3mshe who is takenH3920
HTdHVNrmsawith the cursed thingH2764
HRdHNcmsashall be burnedH8313
HChe has brokenH5674
HNcfscof the LORDH3068
HCHChe has doneH6213
HNprose up earlyH7925
HCHVhw3msin the morningH1242
HNpby their tribes.H7626
HRHNcmpcHSp3msAnd the tribeH7626
And he broughtH7126
HNpAnd he tookH3920
HNcfscof the Zerahites.H2227
HTdHNgmsaAnd he tookH7126
HNcfscof the ZerahitesH2227
HTdHNgmsaman by man.H1397
And he broughtH7126
HRdHNcmpaby man. And Achan,H5912
HNpof the tribeH4294
HNcmscHSp1csI pray you,H4994
HNcbsato the LORDH3068
HTiyou have done.H6213
HVqp1csagainst the LORDH3068
HCHRHPdxfsI have done.H6213
When I sawH7200
HCHVqw1csamong the spoilH7998
HNpand two hundredH3967
HNcmscHSp3msI coveted themH2530
HCHVqw1csHSp3mpand took them.H3947
HCHVqw1csHSp3mpAnd behold, theyH2009
HVqsmpain the earthH776
HRdHNcbsain the middleH8432
HRHNcmscof my tent,H168
HTdHNcmscHSp1csand the silverH3701
HNcmpaand they ranH7323
HCHVqw3mpinto the tent.H168
HCHTmit was hiddenH2934
HVqsfsain his tent,H168
HRHNcmscHSp3msand the silverH3701
And they took themH3947
HCHVqw3mpHSp3mpout of the middleH8432
HRHNcmscof the tent,H168
HTdHNcmsaand brought themH935
HNpAnd they laid them outH3332
HRHSp3msAnd they broughtH5927
HToHSp3mpto the valleyH6010
HTihave you troubledH5916
HVqi3msHSp2msus? The LORDH3068
HNpshall trouble youH5916
HRdHNcbsaafter they had stonedH5619
And they raisedH6965
HTdHNcmsaAnd the LORDH3068
HCHVqw3msfrom His burningH2740
Copyright © 2022 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved