1. And the men of Ephraim said to him, “What is this thing you have done to us, not to call us when you went to fight with the Midianites?” And they rebuked him sharply.
2. And he said to them, “What have done now in comparison to you? Is not the gleaning of the grapes of Ephraim better than the vintage of Abiezer?
3. God has delivered into your hands the princes of Midian, Oreb and Zeeb. And what was I able to do in comparison to you?” Then their spirit of anger toward him was appeased when he had said that.
4. And Gideon came to Jordan, crossing over, he and the three hundred men with him were faint, yet pursuing them.
5. And he said to the men of Succoth, “I pray you, give loaves of bread to the people who follow me, for they are tired, and I am chasing after Zebah and Zalmunna, kings of Midian.”
6. And the rulers of Succoth said, “Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna already in your hand, so that we should give bread to your army?”
7. And Gideon said, “Therefore, when the LORD has delivered Zebah and Zalmunna into my hand, then I will tear your flesh with the thorns of the wilderness and with briers.”
8. And he went up from there to Penuel, and spoke to them likewise. And the men of Penuel answered him like the men of Succoth had answered.
9. Then he spoke also to the men of Penuel, saying, “When I come again in peace, I will break down this tower.”
10. And Zebah and Zalmunna were in Karkor, and their armies with them, about fifteen thousand, all who were left of all the armies of the children of the east; for a hundred and twenty thousand men that drew the sword fell.
11. And Gideon went up by the way of those who lived in tents on the east of Nobah and Jogbehah, and struck the army, for the army was at ease.
12. And when Zebah and Zalmunna fled, he pursued them and took the two kings of Midian, Zebah and Zalmunna, and destroyed all the army.
13. And Gideon the son of Joash turned back from battle before Mount Heres.
14. And he caught a young man of the men of Succoth and asked of him. And he described to him the rulers of Succoth, and its elders, seventy-seven men.
15. And he came to the men of Succoth and said, “Behold, Zebah and Zalmunna, with whom you rebuked me, saying, ‘Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna already in your hand so that we should give bread to your men who are weary?’ ”
16. And he took the elders of the city, and thorns of the wilderness and briers, and with them he taught the men of Succoth.
17. And he beat down the tower of Penuel and killed the men of the city.
18. And he said to Zebah and Zalmunna, “How were the men whom you killed in Tabor?” And they answered, “As you are, so are they. Each one resembled the sons of a king.”
19. And he said, “They were my brothers, the sons of my mother. As the LORD lives, if you had saved them alive, I would not kill you.”
20. And he said to Jether his firstborn, “Up! Kill them!” But the youth did not draw his sword, for he feared because he was still a youth.
21. And Zebah and Zalmunna said, “Rise and fall upon us, for as the man is, so is his strength.” And Gideon arose and killed Zebah and Zalmunna, and took away the ornaments on their camels’ necks.
22. And the men of Israel said to Gideon, “Rule over us, both you and your son, and your son’s son also, for you have delivered us from the hand of Midian.”
23. And Gideon said to them, “I will not rule over you, neither shall my son rule over you. The LORD shall rule over you.”
24. And Gideon said to them, “I would desire a favor of you, that each man of you would give me the earrings of his prey.” (For they had golden earrings because they were Ishmaelites.)
25. And they answered, “We will gladly give.” And they spread a cloth, and each man threw the earrings of his prey in it.
26. And the weight of the golden earrings which he asked for was seventeen hundred shekels of gold, besides ornaments, and pendants, and purple clothing that was on the kings of Midian, and besides the chains around their camels’ necks.
27. And Gideon made an ephod of it, and put it in his city, in Ophrah. And all Israel went there lusting after it, which thing became a snare to Gideon and to his house.
28. And Midian was subdued before the children of Israel, so that they lifted up their heads no more. And the land had rest forty years in the days of Gideon.
29. And Jerubbaal the son of Joash went and lived in his own house.
30. And Gideon had seventy sons, begotten of his body, for he had many wives.
31. And his concubine, who was in Shechem, also bore him a son whose name he called Abimelech.
32. And Gideon the son of Joash died in a good old age, and was buried in the tomb of Joash his father, in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
33. And it came to pass as soon as Gideon was dead, the children of Israel turned again and went lusting after Baalim, and made Baal-Berith their god.
34. And the children of Israel did not remember the LORD their God, Who had delivered them out of the hands of all their enemies on every side.
35. Neither did they show kindness to the house of Jerubbaal, namely Gideon, according to all the goodness which he had shown to Israel.
Copyright © 2020 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved