1. Now it came to pass on one of those days, as He was teaching the people in the temple and proclaiming the gospel, that the chief priests and the scribes came up with the elders,
2. And spoke to Him, saying, “Tell us by what authority You do these things, and who gave You this authority?”
3. And He answered and said to them, “I also will ask you one thing, and you tell Me:
4. The baptism of John, was it from heaven or from men?”
5. And they reasoned among themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will say, ‘Why then did you not believe him?’
6. But if we say, ‘From men,’ all the people will stone us, for they are persuaded that John was a prophet.”
7. And they replied that they did not know where it was from.
8. Then Jesus said to them, “Neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things.”
9. And He began to speak this parable to the people: “A certain man planted a vineyard, and leased it out to husbandmen, and left the country for a long time.
10. And in the harvest season he sent a servant to the husbandmen, so that they might give him some of the fruit from the vineyard; but the husbandmen beat him and sent him away empty.
11. And after that he sent another servant; but they also beat him and scorned him and sent him away empty.
12. And after that he sent a third servant; but they also wounded him and cast him out.
13. Then the lord of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; perhaps when they see him, they will respect him.’
14. But when they saw him, the husbandmen reasoned among themselves, saying, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him, so that the inheritance may be ours.’
15. And they cast him outside the vineyard and killed him. Therefore, what will the lord of the vineyard do to them?
16. He will come and destroy these husbandmen, and will give the vineyard to others.” Now after hearing this, they said, “MAY IT NEVER BE!”
17. But He looked at them and said, “What then is this that is written: ‘The Stone that the builders rejected, this one has become the head of the corner?
18. Everyone who falls on that Stone shall be broken; but on whomever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.’ ”
19. And the chief priests and the scribes sought to lay hands on Him in that hour, because they knew that He had spoken this parable against them; but they feared the people.
20. And they kept Him under surveillance, and sent out secret agents who pretended that they were righteous, so that they might catch Him in His words, in order to deliver Him up to the power and authority of the governor.
21. And they questioned Him, saying, “Master, we realize that You speak and teach rightly, and do not accept any man’s person, but teach the way of God in truth.
22. Is it lawful for us to give tribute to Caesar, or not?”
23. But perceiving their craftiness, He said to them, “Why do you tempt Me?
24. Show Me a silver coin. Whose image and inscription does it have?” And they answered and said, “Caesar’s.”
25. Then He said to them, “Render therefore the things of Caesar to Caesar, and the things of God to God.”
26. And they were not able to catch Him in His speech in the presence of the people. But being filled with amazement by His answer, they were silent.
27. Then some of the Sadducees, who do not believe there is a resurrection, came and questioned Him,
28. Saying, “Master, Moses wrote to us that if anyone’s brother who had a wife should die, and he should die childless, his brother should take his dead brother’s wife and raise up seed for his brother.
29. Therefore, there were seven brothers; and the first one, after taking a wife, died childless;
30. And the second one took the woman, and he died childless;
31. And the third one took her, and likewise the rest of the seven, and died, and did not leave children;
32. And last of all, the woman died also.
33. Therefore, in the resurrection, of which of them shall she be wife? For all seven had her as wife.”
34. And Jesus answered and said to them, “The children of this age marry and are given in marriage;
35. But those who are accounted worthy to obtain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;
36. And neither can they die any more, for they are as the angels, and are the children of God, being children of the resurrection.
37. But that the dead are raised, even Moses showed by his words at the burning bush, when he called the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob;
38. For He is not the God of the dead, but of the living; for all live unto Him.”
39. And some of the scribes answered and said, “Master, You have spoken well.”
40. And after that they did not dare to ask Him any more questions.
41. Then He said to them, “Why do they say that the Christ is the Son of David?
42. Even David himself says in the book of Psalms, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand
43. Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.” ‘
44. Therefore, since David calls Him Lord, how is He his Son?”
45. And as all the people were listening, He said to His disciples,
46. “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk in robes, and love salutations in the marketplaces, and the chief seats in the synagogues, and the chief places at the suppers;
47. Who devour the houses of widows, and as a pretext pray at great length. These shall receive the greater judgment.”
CONJit came to passG1096
CONJproclaiming the gospel,G2097
N-GSMHe will say,G2046
CONJdid you notG3756
P-ASMout to husbandmen,G1092
CONJleft the countryG589
V-AAI-3Sfor a longG2425
PREPthe harvest seasonG2540
CONJthey might giveG1325
P-ASMand sent him awayG1821
V-AAP-NPMand sent him awayG1821
I-ASNshall I do?G4160
V-AAS-1SI will sendG3992
ADVwhen they seeG1492
V-2AAP-NPMhim, they will respectG1788
CONJwhen they sawG1492
V-XXM-2Plet us killG615
N-GSMand killed him.G615
He will comeG2064
CONJafter hearing this,G191
V-2AAI-3P"MAY IT NEVERG3361
T-NSMHe looked atG1689
N-ASMshall be broken;G4917
PRTit shall fall,G4098
V-2AAS-3Sit will grind himG846
CONJHe had spokenG2036
CONJthey kept Him under surveillance,G3906
V-AAP-NPMand sent outG649
CONJthey might catchG1949
P-GSMin His words,G3056
N-GSMin order toG1519
P-ASMup to theG3588
V-PAI-2Sany man's person,G4383
P-1DSa silver coin.G1220
N-ASFdoes it have?"G2192
V-PAI-3SAnd they answeredG611
CONJthey were notG3756
N-GSNin the presence ofG1726
CONJbeing filled with amazementG2296
N-DSFthey were silent.G4601
V-2AAS-3Shis dead brother'sG3588
ADVthe rest of theG3588
P-GPMshall she beG1096
CONJare given in marriage;G1548
T-NPMare accounted worthyG2661
CONJ-Nare given in marriage;G1548
V-PXI-3Pas the angels,G2465
V-AAI-3Sby his words atG1909
CONJthe chief seatsG4410
CONJthe chief placesG4411
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved