2. Saying, “Where is the One Who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the east, and have come to worship Him.”
3. But when Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4. And after gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ should be born.
5. Then they said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it has been written by the prophet:
6. ‘And you, Bethlehem, land of Judea, in no way are you least among the princes of Judea; for out of you shall come forth a Prince, Who shall shepherd My people Israel.’ ”
7. Then Herod secretly called for the Magi and ascertained from them the exact time of the appearing of the star.
8. And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, “Go and search diligently for the little Child; and when you have found Him, bring word back to me, so that I also may go and worship Him.”
9. And after hearing the king, they departed; and behold, the star that they had seen in the east went in front of them, until it came and stood over the house where the little Child was.
10. And after seeing the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
11. And when they had come into the house, they found the little Child with Mary His mother, and they bowed down and worshiped Him; then they opened their treasures and presented their gifts to Him—gold and frankincense and myrrh.
12. But being divinely instructed in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their own country by another way.
13. Now after they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, “Arise and take the little Child and His mother, and escape into Egypt, and remain there until I shall tell you; for Herod is about to seek the little Child to destroy Him.”
14. And he arose by night and took the little Child and His mother, and went into Egypt,
15. And was there until the death of Herod; that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, “Out of Egypt I have called My Son.”
16. Then Herod, seeing that he had been mocked by the Magi, was filled with rage; and he sent and put to death all the boys who were in Bethlehem and in the area all around, from two years old and under, according to the time that he had ascertained from the Magi.
17. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying,
18. “A voice was heard in Rama, lamentation and weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children; and she would not be comforted, because they were not.”
20. Saying, “Arise and take the little Child and His mother, and go into the land of Israel; for those who were seeking the life of the little Child have died.”
21. And he arose and took the little Child and His mother, and came into the land of Israel.
22. But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea instead of Herod his father, he was afraid to go there; and after being divinely instructed in a dream, he went into the parts of Galilee.
23. And after arriving, he dwelt in a city called Nazareth; that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, “He shall be called a Nazarean.”
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved