1. Now in those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea,
2. And saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
3. For this is he who was spoken of by Isaiah the prophet, saying, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness, ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight His paths.’ ”
4. Now John himself wore a garment of camel’s hair, and a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey.
5. Then went out to him those from Jerusalem, and all Judea, and all the country around the Jordan,
6. And were being baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
7. But after seeing many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers, who has forewarned you to flee from the coming wrath?
8. Therefore, produce fruits worthy of repentance;
9. And do not think to say within yourselves, ‘We have Abraham for our father’; for I tell you that God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham.
10. But already the axe is striking at the roots of the trees; therefore, every tree that is not producing good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
11. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance; but the One Who is coming after me is mightier than I, of Whom I am not fit to carry His sandals; He shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit, and with fire;
12. Whose winnowing shovel is in His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His floor, and will gather His wheat into the granary; but the chaff He will burn up with unquenchable fire.”
14. But John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I have need to be baptized by You, and You come to me?”
15. Then Jesus answered and said to him, “You must permit it at this time; for in this manner it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he permitted Him to be baptized.
16. And after He was baptized, Jesus came up immediately out of the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove, and coming upon Him.
17. And lo, a voice from heaven said, “This is My Son, the Beloved, in Whom I have great delight.”
Copyright © 2021 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved