A Psalm of David.
1. Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me.
2. Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for my help.
3. Also draw out the spear and the lance against those who pursue me; say to my soul, “I am your salvation.”
4. Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion, those who seek after my soul; let them be turned back and humiliated, those who devise evil against me.
5. Let them be as chaff before the wind; and let the angel of the LORD drive them away.
6. Let their way be dark and slippery; and let the angel of the LORD pursue them;
7. For without cause they have hidden their net for me; without cause they have dug a pit for my soul.
8. Let destruction come upon him in a time he will not know; and let his net which he has concealed catch him, let him fall into destruction.
9. And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD; it shall rejoice in His salvation.
10. All my bones shall say, “O LORD, Who is like You, who delivers the poor from him stronger than he; yea, even the poor and the needy from him who plunders him?”
11. Cruel witnesses rose up; they asked me of things that I knew nothing about.
12. They rewarded me evil for good, bereaving my soul.
13. But when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth; I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into my own bosom.
14. I went about as though it were a friend or brother; I bowed down as one mourning for his mother.
15. But in my stumbling they rejoiced and gathered themselves together; the attackers whom I did not know gathered themselves against me. They slandered without ceasing.
16. As profane mockers, they gnashed at me with their teeth.
17. O LORD, how long will You look on? Rescue my soul from their ravages, my precious life from the lions.
18. I will give You thanks in the great congregation; I will praise You among a mighty throng.
19. Let not those who are my enemies without cause rejoice over me; let not those who hate me wink the eye,
20. For they do not speak peace, but they devise deceitful things against those who are quiet in the land.
21. And they open wide their mouths against me; they say, “Aha, aha! Our eyes have seen it.”
22. You have seen, O LORD; do not keep silence; O LORD, do not be far from me.
23. Stir up Yourself and awaken to my defense, even to my cause, my God and my Lord.
24. Judge me, O LORD my God, according to Your righteousness; and do not let them rejoice over me.
25. Do not let them say in their hearts, “Aha! We have our desire!” Do not let them say, “We have swallowed him up.”
26. May those who rejoice at my distress be altogether ashamed and humiliated; let them be clothed with shame and dishonor who magnify themselves against me.
27. Let those who delight in my vindication be jubilant and rejoice; and let them say without ceasing, “The LORD be magnified, Who delights in the peace of His servant.”
28. And my tongue shall speak of Your righteousness and of Your praise all the day long.
Copyright © 2019 A Faithful Version. All Rights Reserved